Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sprinting Through Roma

I had a choice. I could fly home on Sunday and spend two days in Rome, but also spend twice as much on the flight, food, and accommodations, or I could fly home Saturday night, sprint through Rome, but save over €100. I chose the second. Part of me wishes I had spent more time in Rome, but it just gives me a giant reason to have to go back. And boy, do I want to go back.

I arrived in Rome around 2 pm on Friday afternoon (we missed our first train out of Florence) and I wasn't immediately impressed. We got off the train, figured out how to get to the airport then went to figure out the Metro. I didn't have the right change for a day ticket, so I had to go allllll the way back up the stairs and through a maze of hallways to ask for change, got it and went all the way back. I put my money in the machine, selected which ticket I wanted and it said "Printing ticket. Thanks, Have a nice day." Yet there was no ticket. Anywhere. I waited. I looked around. I got frustrated. I hit the machine, and went to find someone to solve my problem. I went up to a security guard like person and with some difficulty, due to the language barrier, I eventually was talking to the tech guy. We went to the machine and he tested everything, and it was working perfectly fine. I had no proof that it didn't print my ticket, and the machine was showing no signs of being broken. This would have been fine if it was a cheap ticket, I would have just bought a new one, but it was an expensive all day ticket and I wasn't about to pay for another one after running all the way upstairs to get change, which I would have to do again to get more change to get a new ticket. I was annoyed and frustrated which obviously meant I started crying and the evil tech guy kept saying there was nothing he could do, so I cried more and he gave me a one way ticket. Small consolation, but I took what I could get. After that, nothing in Rome could bring me down, I wasn't going to let it. And nothing did.

This is when Rome got amazing. Well eventually. We checked into our hostel, but Kathleen was filling terribly ill still, so we had to leave her behind as Tiffany and I went to explore. I felt so badly for her. Sick in Rome? Terrible thing. But with my limited time I had to use it wisely. We head off to go see the Coloseum. On our way we walked past the most beautiful blood oranges ever. I had to buy one, and I'm so glad I did. It was so tasty, I ended up eating like 6 in the 24 hours I was in Rome.

Beautiful and Delicious

The Coloseum was breath taking. You get off the Metro, walk outside and BAM. There it is. It took my breath away. I had tiffany pinch me to check if it was indeed real life. It was. Those walls have seen so much history. I tried to remind myself of that as I was exploring the ruins around it and inside. What a trip through history. Loved it.



It was an insanely beautiful afternoon. It was about 16˚C, which is 65˚F, 30˚ warmer than any high I had seen in Maastricht for weeks. The sun was shining so brightly I was sweating, and I was wearing a tank top. I missed the sun so much, just letting the rays warm my cheeks made me immensely happy. 


We wandered towards other things that looked old and interesting as the sun was setting and happened upon some very beautiful buildings. This one was my favorite. It's so magnificent, and impressive when you think about how long ago it was built. 


Gorgeous

We then headed back to the hostel to make sure Kathleen was still alive and see if she wanted to join us for dinner. But first I had to get myself some Italian coffee before leaving. It was quite good.

Cappuccino 

Kathleen was alive, but not doing well at all. We got her food and water and forced her to eat and drink something, and while still worried I had to go out and see more of Rome, especially the Trevi Fountain so I could throw my coin in to make sure I got to go back. It was a bit of a struggle, but completely worth it. Insanely exquisite.

Hopefully it works

On our long wandering walk to the fountain, we walked past a really cute restaurant where an old Irish man was smoking a pipe outside. He gave a raving review and after walking so long we were starving, so we found our way back and I had the best gnocchi of my entire life. Light puffs of heaven. 

Multicolored Gnocchi with shrimp and asparagus in a cream sauce

We went back to the hostel eventually and I repacked everything so I didn't have to worry about it in the morning. This is the room we were staying in. Felt like I was in the teenage Marshall Erickson's room (from How I Met Your Mother). It was funny. 

Minnesota decorations in Rome. Who woulda thunk?

The next morning I woke up really early and got out of the hostel as fast as possible. I had to leave Rome by 1 and still wanted to see the Vatican City. This is where the sprinting starts. I walked as fast as possible the whole time. The Vatican City is also magnificent. Everything is in such pristine condition. It's so hard to believe how old it is.

Another beautiful sunny day

First, I went to St. Pieters Basillica. What a beautiful church.


Then I went to the Vatican Museum, or Musei Vaticani. This place is insane. The ceilings are amazing. Literally could stare at the them forever. But instead I had to sprint through them, with the main goal in mind, leave myself at least 7 minutes to marvel at the Sistine Chapel.


Incredible

The Sistine Chapel is also breath taking. The detail and expansiveness of the whole thing is just... simply... I can't even describe it. I was speechless. I truly wish I had more time, but I'm really really glad that I made time to go see it. I'll never forget it.


Finally, I sprinted down this beautiful spiral walkway and ran to the Metro station, ran to my hostel, grabbed my bag, and ran to the main train station just in time to catch the bus to get to the airport. I got to the airport just in the nick of time and checked in, went through security, and was almost last in line to get on the plane. I probably should have left an hour earlier to have played it safe. But it all worked out. I love love loved Italy. Favorite country so far, definitely. We took off and I said  Ciao Italia, for now :]

No comments:

Post a Comment