Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Pest I Ever Had (Budapest Part 2)

On our second full day in Budapest we lazily woke up (read: the boys lazily woke up) and we were off to explore by around 1. Our only plan of the day was to relax in ultimate style at the Széchenyi Thermal Baths. Hungarians know how to relax in style. It was a lovely day. I haven't felt that relaxed in ages.

But first, Daniel wanted to see the huge synagogue, but me, not being Jewish or anything didn't want to pay the large sum to see it, so half of us got hummus for lunch instead. Yum! We eventually made it to the main city park where we ran into this awesome monument, called Hősök tere, or Heroes Square.

Heroes Square

And finally we were at the Baths, just in time for my massage appointment!

Beautiful building inside,

and out

It was honestly amazing. We quickly changed and I took a speedy dip before finding my massage place. Such a good massage. Definitely needed it after travelling for 2 months and sleeping in cheap hostel beds. After we just soaked in warm mineral water for hours. I never wanted to leave. Hungarians love their bath culture and there were people there from 3 to 93. It was like nothing I've experienced before, I wish it was more popular around the world. I could get used to it.

We eventually left due to hunger and dehydration pains, found some dinner and made our way back to the hostel to meet up with the other group.

All of us! (minus poor sick, sleeping Allison)

That night we tried to go out to this club we had heard about, but just our luck it was closed, despite checking online three times if it was open. It was a nice night walk regardless.

Again, our hostel was so cool. I would definitely recommend it, and definitely stay there again!


View from the top. I got vertigo every time I looked down

Our last morning we didn't have much time before having to leave for the airport, so we checked out the huge indoor market where they sell lots of fresh fruits veggies, meet, fish and bread on the bottom floor and souvenirs galore above. It was a nice last stop to try and use all of our Forints. Then we headed to the airport and made the long trek back to Maastricht. It really takes a ridiculous amount of time to get from the Airport in Belgium back home. None of the trains are timed right and we end up sitting around waiting half the time. But what can you do?


Market

I believe this captures our true essence

I really enjoyed Budapest. I was surprised and delighted. I would suggest checking it out!





No comments:

Post a Comment