Monday, January 9, 2012

12 Hours in London

I left LA on Tuesday Night and arrived in London just before midnight, wednesday night. Even though I magically skipped 8 hours into the future, it still felt like I had been travelling for over 24 hours. It was not the best feeling. I finally got to my hostel around 1 am, went to the very top floor with the worlds heaviest bags via the stairs (unfortunately this country does not believe in elevators) and then I passed out, even though it was only 5:30 in the evening my time. I was wiped. However, I woke up at 4 am and wasn't able to fall back asleep at all. Silly jet lag. I got up, showered, ate my free breakfast, and still had a couple hours before I was meeting up with Elise, so I decided to venture out on a walk. I had no idea where I was in relation to anything, but I agree that the best way to see a city is to walk. So, walk I did.

My walk began near the Victoria Train Station in London. I walked in a direction I thought looked interesting and happened upon little shops, matching buildings, churches and tons of launderettes (they call them that here instead of landromats...). I then spotted a bridge, and thought cool! This must be the Thames. It was. It's pretty.

Then I looked to my left and saw one of the most typical views of London. I was truly surprised. I had no idea I was any where near there.


Woah. So pretty in person! And it was an absolute beautiful morning.


 Gorgeous.

They tell you which way to look before you cross in the city. Which is soo helpful! But it's still hard to anticipate where the cars are going to be coming from, especially with the millions of round abouts. 
Then I was running out of time to meet up with Elise and realized I had gone way farther than I thought and didn't know how to get back because the city isn't on a helpful grid like New York. Eventually I found my way, but was very late, to Elise's major distress (still sorry!) but I got there in the nick of time to grab my bag and speed off to the train station to catch our train to Cardiff, Wales.
All in all a good 12 hours in London. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment