Sunday, January 22, 2012

Belgium

Well it was off to my next adventure! I left london in the afternoon and took the train to Brussels. Yes, there is a train that goes underneath the channel. It was pretty dang cool and SUPER fast. I got to Brussels around 4 and somehow managed to find Claire in the hoards of people with out any way to contact her. I was thoroughly surprised we found each other. Luckily she was there to help me drag my stuff all the way to her Dad's apartment. We made it in one piece and then decided what to make for dinner. So exciting to cook. I missed it. We decided to make pizza. However we didn't have mozzarella cheese, nor could we find it at the local corner store so we decided to go out on a limb and try gouda. Result? Actually pretty great. I had dinner with Claire and Cyrille and heard some great stories about Grandfather and Grandmother. After dinner I called my pops. It was nice to hear his voice after so long. Then Cyrille drove Claire and I to the city centre so we could explore. Brussels is very pretty at night. We saw some prime spots like the Mannequin-Pis. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures. But it's a great  city. We then went to this crazy pub called Delirium that has about a million different beers. It was fun trying to choose. And by fun I mean impossible.

The next day we woke up and went to breakfast. Then Claire gave me some pointers of some more things I should see downtown and off I went. Claire had to go to practice so I was on my own. I somehow found my way to my destination while running into some cool things like...

The Royal Palace. It's pretty.

And some other cool buildings

Before I got to the Musical Instruments Museum! It was so cool. They had thousands of instruments and by most of them you could put your headphones into the headphone jack and listen to the instrument being played. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 



A view of Brussels from the museum

Then I wandered for forever.

Saw the Parliament,

the Cathedral,

the Grand-Plac

It was cold and raining but beautiful. Eventually my feet were tired and I was freezing so I found a cozy place to sit down. The cozy place happened to be a tea room where I enjoyed some tea and a belgian waffle. So yum. Except it was SO sugary and sweet it was a bit much. Then I went back to Cyrilles and ate some amazing chili that Claire had made earlier.


Brussels is soooo pretty at night!

Claire and Cyrille came home from practice around 9 and we spent some time together then Claire and I played cards for forever. We were a pretty even match for speed. It was a lot of fun. I really liked having a home to come home to while in Brussels. Claire is the nicest girl ever and made me feel so welcomed and Cyrille was a great host as well. Having home cooked meals and my own room and bed that wasn't a bunk bed to sleep in at night was much needed after so long in hostels. It was a great way to end my exploring before reaching my final destination, Maastricht!

No comments:

Post a Comment